Sunday, March 20, 2011

"The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" ~ Art Buchwald

For me, that quote is transmitted through my brain several times a week. Sure, I like things; especially NICE things, and looking around me I have a lot of nice things.

I have a home that is a "thing", but more than that I have around me trees, birds, deer, wild turkeys, Todd the Fox, a crackling fire in the woodstove, a hot cup of coffee.  My Dad was here not too long ago and made the comment that you can look at pictures and appreciate of where we live but to really see it you have to be here.  Sitting on the porch you see it with all the senses.  You see the blue sky and the trees but you feel the air, crisp and clean.  You smell the woodsmoke, the evergreen trees.  You hear the windchime tinkling and the wind gusts making the ocean roar sound through the trees, the chickadees, finches and bluejays busily emptying the various birdfeeders around the house. 
The peacefulness of my home is one of life's best things.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, for doing a better job of describing how I feel about where we live, than I could have said on my own. Happy springtime, hope it is all we expect it to be.

    ReplyDelete